Tuesday, March 18, 2008

simple chicken

Yikes! It's been nearly a week since my last post. Doesn't mean I haven't been eating though, that's for sure. Life has been a little hectic lately, and I've turned to simple food prep.

Case in point was last night. It'd been a busy day, and I opted to get in a workout late in the afternoon. By that time, Jennifer had gotten called away for work, and neither of us had given dinner a thought. Martha to the rescue. Actually, the rescuer was that little magazine called Everyday Food published by MSL. It's really a nice compilation of quick and yummy recipes. I grabbed a pack of chicken breasts on the way home from the gym and prepped the recipe for cayenne-spiced chicken with avocado salsa. When Jennifer called to let me know she'd be home in 20 min, I threw on the chicken, prepared a small salad, and dinner was on the table when she came in the door. And the spice rub is so simple - 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp cayenne, that's it.

The addition of a spice rub or an herb can transform something ordinary into a dish that really offers lots of taste. It's a matter of having it on hand.

No comments: